Sunday, August 23, 2009

Second place counts !

I just finished watching the grand finale of ''India's Got Talent'' and I am really happy with the choice for the first and second places although I believe the third place was mainly due to the home advantage (many votes from Mumbaites for a Mumbai based group) than talent...anyway I am digressing....I will have another post just about the show.

The third place winners had their moment of glory and then there were 2 groups to choose from and the tension runs high.....one doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that revealing any one of the two places actually concludes announcing the results since the other place is automatically implied.

The hosts chose to announce the first place and naturally the winners deserved to rejoice after all the hardwork and hours of practice, not to mention their hopes and dreams coming alive with a price money of 50 Lakhs and a Maruti ka shandhar Gadi (like Nikhil reminded us a million times) Ritz...they were overjoyed, the got a standing ovation and glitter falling on them from the cieling of the magnificent set.

And all along, the group that probably missed out on winning the show by a few votes stands quietly in the background...their moment in the limelight is gone since the thunder was stolen by the winners and all they got was a bike worth 50K (how can you have a factor of 100 between prizes for the first 2 places ?! Its like having platinum and thagara dappa (Tin) medals in the Olympics !)...nobody seemed to remember that they stood 2nd out of probably 1000s of different contestants from all over India and have gone through gruelling sessions of practice and multiple levels of screening from both the judges and the audience. They deserved an applause even if not a standing ovation to tell them that they did make a mark, to tell them that they deserve to go on, to reach much higher levels ! Clap, clap, clap from me (and probably a few others who did so while watching the show) !

Exactly the same thing happened in the ''Super Singer'' show (and God knows it went on for years!)....while both Renu (third place) and Ajesh (the winner) had a round of appreciation, all Ravi (second place) got was a pat on the back with everyone moving towards Ajesh and jumping around him.

When the show has judges, planners, hosts, choreographers and thousands of technicians and all experienced ones at that, would it not occur to one person to point out that the second place counts ?! I sure hope someone does, atleast in the future.

From my side...congrats Ravi !! Great work, ''Lok Manya Tilak Sanskrutik Gnyas'' !! Here is my salute to your talent and I wish with all my heart that you go places !

Images are from google search (Indya.com and oneknightstands.net)

5 comments:

  1. Only winning counts. You will be seen only after you win... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. If u watch seinfeld u should see the episode on finishing second.
    I call this a neduchezhian(navalar) effect. he was always second in whatever he does!! I have this effect on me and many a times get irritated if ppl say u were nearly there..

    ReplyDelete
  3. @SK
    I disagree although its unfortunately true in most cases...

    @ Bharath
    I thought I had seen all seinfeld episodes and that I had a really decent memory, but your comment makes me reconsider it...which episode is this? the one with the runner ? Navalar effect is actually a really good description and that’s why I get all the more irked – when the participants are already irritated and upset about being second, this is like adding insult to injury by not even acknowledging it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that i found one Seinfeld fan.. ppl here watch only friends!!(I find it more of a teenage comedy). I'm big time fan of Seinfeld and have all the seasons in DVD. I think he mentions this during his standup act.. let me think of the episode.. but i clearly remember him saying that if you are second you are LOSER!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Bharath

    hey, I have all the DVDs too. In all fairness, I actually have friends and that 70s show (which is my favorite) too....one of the side effects of living nearly alone for 6 yrs, I guess :D ! I totally love Seinfeld's stand-up comedy where he states matter-of-facts in a way you have never thought of before, totally cracks me up. I have a half-written post about it that I will publish one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete

Hit Counter
Website Hit Counter I had decided to have a counter only after I hit a 1000 views and since it happened last week (as on 14 Dec 2009), now is the time to see some stats :)