Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Disclaimers

My Orkut Fortune for the day: What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

I couldn't help laughing thinking about how disclaimers have become an integral part of our life. what does this go to show ?
....that people are dumb enough to do such things (like believing one can fly) ?
....that they are dumber to blame others for it ?
....that people would rather give disclaimers than deal with these no-grey-cells people ?

I understand explaining terms of liability for a product or service you pay for because as a customer you are entitled to have certain privileges for the money you pay and its important to be clear what those privileges actually are but when I read disclaimers in help forums and blogs (including mine) I cannot but wonder if ''pointing fingers'' logic has stooped so low that no one can get by without disclaimer !

Let me give everyone the benefit of doubt and assume that the people who do use disclaimers are so worried about other people misunderstanding what they said/offered and that they want to spare the people the trouble of realising too late that they made a mistake...well, that is a happy and positive thought I can live with !

Disclaimer: I have nothing against disclaimers :D !

1 comment:

  1. :)

    I am in technical documentation and often have to deal with questions that mean, you never said so..... which is why I completely understand disclaimers :)

    People point fingers at the document and most people choose to lock up their commonsense ( a brain product) in their safety locker at home and never use it unless absolutely required.

    So in my opinion, disclaimers ease life :)

    ReplyDelete

Hit Counter
Website Hit Counter I had decided to have a counter only after I hit a 1000 views and since it happened last week (as on 14 Dec 2009), now is the time to see some stats :)