Tuesday, January 12, 2010

From Handshake to Hugs

I got a request from SK, a fellow blogger, that I should write about the cultural shock that Indians get when coming to Germany. I think this post is a lot less relevant these days with westernization moving at an exponential pace in India. Since this is confined mostly to the cities and there are others who come to Germany, I think some of this probably still makes sense (or it simply makes for an interesting read :D). Of course the culture shock can take varying forms, depending on the sex, background, personality and the overall mindset of a person.

I am going to begin by listing some of my experiences, and I am going to be as frank as I can (as is permissible in a public forum). It should be noted that I came here in Feb 2003 and that was the time when MNCs had not ventured into India in full force, take-away pizzas were rare, dating was unheard of (and those who did date did it like the CIA and guarded their secret like the FBI) and there were no ‘educational’ movies like Dhoom 2 or Race or Kandhasamy to learn from.

It was my second day in Germany. As I was sitting with a bunch of my classmates, 2 Spanish students joined us. They introduced themselves as newcomers and began by shaking hands with everyone. As the first one approached me, I put out my hand (a little reluctantly, albeit with a big smile) and before I knew it, he gave me a hug!! I was still in shock when the second guy gave me a hug too! To me it was completely unexpectant and in fact, quite bewildering. Then they sat down and began merrily chatting with all of us.

Physical contact: The first thing that bothered me was the hitherto-unused-to physical contact – handshakes, hugs and sometimes even a kiss on the cheek or on the hand. Although I have been born and brought up in Chennai with a number of male friends (some of them really close that they meet my parents now and then even when I am not in town), both from school and college, there was somehow no physical contact in the friendship. I have lots of cousins and I am close with them and excepting those, physical contact with guys was completely foreign to me.

It was my first month in Germany. I was in the S-Bahn (local train) and the only one in a 4-seater, with 2 seats facing 2 others. In one of the stops, a young couple boarded the train and sat in the seats exactly opposite to me. As soon as they sat down, they began kissing vehemently. I was completely embarrassed and didn’t know where I should look since they were in my line of sight, I looked outside the window for a while and stared at the train ceiling for a while and all along, I had this creepy sensation of two people being tongue-tied next to me. At one point, I could take it no longer and so I moved away to a different part of the train. When I mentioned this to one of my friends, he said, ‘Nee james bond movies parthadhu illaya??’ and I retorted ‘sure, but ivalo close-upla, ivalo livea naan edhuvum parthadhe illa’!!!

Public displays: It is very common to see couples here holding hands, hugging, kissing etc. in public places (right from a shopping mall to an elevator – no exceptions!). This has embarrassed me quite a few times but I slowly learnt to live with it or rather ignore it. Over time, I have grown up to an extent that public displays of love sometimes make me smile. What bothers me most is when there is a public display of lust. I saw a lady step down from a train, and nearly run to hug her husband and kids on the platform – this falls in the former category and is heart-warming while seeing 2 teenagers lip-locked in front of my building is not!

I was waiting to withdraw cash from an ATM and in the queue, there was a desi guy and ahead of him was a German. When the German got his turn and was at the machine, the desi guy stood very close behind him (like we do in queues in India fearing that if we left a gap, someone would come and fill it !) and the German turned and stared at him a couple of times and finally said “Könnten Sie bitte Abstand halten” i.e. “Can you please maintain some distance?”

Personal space: People need their space be it a queue or public transport. I have noticed people standing even when there are seats left in a 4-seater since they prefer standing to sitting in close quarters with strangers. In general, no one breaks a queue anywhere, so people maintain a good distance from each other.

I was in Amsterdam for a weekend and as I turned around a corner, I almost ran into two people kissing. I was flustered and looked up to apologize, but the two blonde men (yes, men) hadn’t even noticed me !

I was on a work trip to Canada and although I was traveling alone, I had a spacious suite with a living room, dining room and a huge bedroom with twin beds. One of my colleagues who was leaving Canada that night missed her flight and had to spend the night. While she was thinking of hotel rooms, I suggested that she stay with me instead of spending money. She happily agreed and when she came to spend the night, she had brought her own sleeping bag and slept in the living room although I told her more than once that she can sleep in one of the beds
.

Same sex interaction: Interaction between similar sexes is pushed to extremes here. When on the one side, there are same-sex couples, on the other side men are totally against any physical contact with other men like hugging or having one’s arm over the other’s shoulder and they are completely shocked when they see desis do all this (I had a couple of people, who have seen guys sharing a bicycle – doubles – ask me if they are homosexual). In case of women, there are some who would hug and kiss (or rub cheeks, I really do not know the right way!) when they greet and some who shy away from it.

I was in the University when one of the guys who worked with me under the same professor as a RA (research assistant) asked me if I would have coffee with him. I was under the impression that coffee meant ‘just coffee’ until he had this sheepish grin on his face.

I was coming home after a b’day party and as I was waiting in the train station, an unknown guy approached me and asked if I was interested to have some drinks with him and some “fun”. I pointed to the ring in my finger and I said that I am married (although I wasn’t then, the ring is sure helpful!) and not interested. He walked away.


Accosting people and dating: Men accosting women either for dates or ‘otherwise’ is quite common. The key is to assess the situation and react accordingly without going into panic mode. Being accosted by a drunken gang in a station at night is obviously much different than being asked out by a guy at work. In one way, I feel this is better than being gawked at all the time. People generally take ‘no’ well too.

It was my first summer here and it was extremely hot (touched 40 deg C on one day). My apartment in the university was just behind the woods and also had considerable stretches of greenery on the front. Women in bikins and men in trunks (Irrespective of their figures, all people who sun-bathed would be clad in similar costume) sun bathing was something that happened everyday. I did get used to seeing it pretty quickly but what always bothered me was some desis and people from other countries like Pakistan, Bangladesh, staring open-mouthed at these people.

It was my first time to the University swimming pool. When I went to the women’s bathroom, to take a shower, I was in for a shock. There were no curtains, no partitions – it was just a huge room with a number of showers and everyone in there was naked. I was the only one showering with a swim suit on and excepting a couple who gave me a weird look, no one else cared.

‘Freedom’ w.r.t clothing: I need not elaborate on this. What one must understand is that everyone has his/her own opinion as to what and what not to wear. This is almost akin to vegetarianism for me. While I do not eat meat, I do not make faces when someone next to me does. So be yourself and let others do what they do. People here are used to seeing women in skimpy clothes, so someone wearing a swim suit does not attract as much attention as it would in India. While this works to the advantage of desi girls, guys get in trouble ! For guys (and sometimes, even girls), sight adichufying is different from gaping at someone. Alavodu jolli valamaga vazhga !

Many universities like the University of Stuttgart, offer integration programs that discuss various aspects of the Cultural shock, not only to arriving desis but also to Germans who have to interact with them.

It all comes down to living and learning and giving people the benefit of doubt. Do some research on dos and donts and exercise discretion and you should be fine. At the end of it all, you would definitely have some interesting stuff to share like I do :). But, please, please, bear in mind that while in Germany, you are an Indian ambassador and anything/everything you do will go into a German's definition of an Indian. So do your bit to make this definition better and not the other way around.

For more information about ''what is typical in Germany'', read this post.

SK, let me know if there is anything else you want me to elaborate on.

PS: Finally, the cultural shock I had in Nov 2005 when I came to India after 2.75 years was much bigger than the shock I had when I first came to Germany ! Maybe I should write about that too...

26 comments:

  1. Hmm ... Great Post !!!

    Pala Kalaachaara sodhanaigal a kadandhu vaazhnthukittu irukeenga pola ... Nice to read ...

    About "Sight Aduchify-ing" - Sometimes here in Shopping malls at Bangalore, it will be absolutely funny to notice some guy staring with all his concentration at a gal who was wearing a skirt/spaghetti ... It always looks totally indecent ...

    AM not complaining or whining here but that's the state of affairs here, We hide sexuality here and it still remains the most sought ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quiet comprehensive.. I thought about writing about the reverse cultural shock in the comments but you have covered that (too) in ur PS.. For them the clock stops when they leave this country and expect it to be right there when they come back!!! I always have problem with people who after a short stay outside start complaining about the state of affairs here..
    Culture shock is everywhere.. when u move to madras from madurai or from madras to Bangalore or Blr to NewYork.. I like the way you have approached it and recollected your experiences..

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Some experiences stay in the mind and it is nice to see them jotted :)

    Talking of India and cultural shock, I have a whole load of wisdom to impart from Bangalore :) Will do it sometime..

    Well written and neatly categorized :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post. Please write abt the nov 05 incident too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post.. you have covered almost everything.

    What you have marked in bold tells the whole story.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. but wht is simply astounding is the flow...
    looks like there was hardly a flich between the request and the reply......

    sagodari..."un ezhuththin vadivaiyum, velippatu thiranaiyum, yam mechinom"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely written. I would just like to add something to this. These things are totally valid for US too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Gokul
    "We hide sexuality here and it still remains the most sought" - I actually believed that the former causes the latter but after coming here (where its not a big deal) and still seeing problems, I figured that its just part of human nature

    @Bharath
    The country need not be right where they left it but in 2 years, you expect a 2 year "progress" and not a 10 yr one, illa ?

    @Dewdrop
    I have a lot to write about B'lore too :)

    @Pranaav
    will do

    @SK
    am glad your request was properly fulfilled (this should taken into account when I take vacation or apply for it :D)

    @viki
    annan, nandri :)

    @Musing Gal
    I have never had any American hug me yet :D ! and I have heard/seen Europeans being more easy w.r.t nudity than Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  9. //@Bharath
    The country need not be right where they left it but in 2 years, you expect a 2 year "progress" and not a 10 yr one, illa ?//

    u r talking abt a country which is growing atleast 5 times faster than the "developed countries".. so by rajni's annamalai theory (kooti kazhichu patha...) it balances..

    //I have never had any American hug me yet :D ! and I have heard/seen Europeans being more easy w.r.t nudity than Americans.//

    Quiet Agree..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course ... Our Genetic codes are the culprits for most part ... But, We in India actually aggregate the effect by hiding things ... Human curiosity also joins the party in our case ...

    I read it somewhere ... Though the re-phrasing is from me ..

    Your Intestine seeks food and you feed it and when our sexual impulse seeks stuff to act upon, we starve him for about 10-15 years ... The idea of looking at it like Hunger, Thirst etc is unfortunately not a part of our cultural setup.

    Aathaadi !!! Romba ulla poitrukkomo .. Sari vitrunga ...

    About US Vs Europe ... I absolutely agree with Soumya. This is apparently seen in their cinemas (Which is the only way I could associate ... Films are a natural way of cultural expression, I feel). Hollywood films are known to create that sizzle-halo around sex in their movies, with special lighting and wonderful BGMs. On the contrary, European cinema (though I have seen a very few) never makes a big fuss in dealing with physical expressions of romantic relationships. It will just come and go like any other sequence, I observed.

    Also, the censors are relatively lenient in Europe than in the US. This is one more way to look at the cultural outlook. Also this way, the freedom of expression and hence the quality of output are also preserved.

    ReplyDelete
  11. will you please write about student life in germany...that may helps to student

    ReplyDelete
  12. @000.priya

    I have actually written quite a few posts on Studying in Germany - http://sowmyagopal.blogspot.com/search/label/Studying%20in%20Germany and there is one specifically on 'during' - http://sowmyagopal.blogspot.com/2009/08/studying-in-germany-during.html. What exactly do you mean ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. @SG,

    I thought of translating your post for my tamil blog related to higher studies. But adiyennukku intha post padicha odane, antha alavukku enakku thamizh pulamai illainnu therinchu pOchu.

    I will ask some tamil pulavars for help. Otherwise with your permission I will copy paste in english itself cross referencing this post.

    Danke Schoen. Frohes pOngal. (eppudi.. naangalum Müller viduvOmla :-). Müller ennanu yosikkareengala.. peteroda german version :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  14. i mean to say how student life in germany...
    what problems usually students face...what advantages they enjoy being a student...and how one have manage his life style there

    ReplyDelete
  15. @SK

    sure, adhuku dhane ezhudien. Frohes Pongal ellam nemba Müller !

    @000.priya
    I have already written on these topics in the posts I listed before (right from lectures to public transport!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. ya i read all your posts..;)
    Now whenever i get time i just switch to your blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,
    Few info on cultural difference from my side.
    1. Generally spanians maintain closer distance between people when then talk to them than the standard distance of the length of one arm
    2. never show a "high 5" in greece, it means "fuck-off"

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blogs are quite interesting,informative and this one is excellent.Generally I had a feeling that Tech persons are not good in writing(few exceptions like Sujatha are there) but changed now after seeing your blogs.
    Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  19. @kamal

    yup, Spaniards do that and I have read of the Greece one too in a travel book, though I never ask my Greek friends about it, should do. Another request I have is noto to use the 'f' word, just refer to it as the 'f' word because when people read the blog at work, these words will flag the blog as 'inappropriate'

    @SV
    I would assume Technical people should have some writing skills too after all the dreary reports they write :D ! But you are right, marketing does it a lot better

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh! sorry for using that word. i will take care of this in future...

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have impressed me, Sowmya. Nobody else can narrate the event that they come across in their day to day life. Nice narration and careful written too. I know little bit about Amsterdam When I went to UK I understood about the countries surrounding UK. But nothing to say it is their culture.

    If we eat proper food we can eat throughout the life without getting affected by any disease, similary if we have disciplined sex we can have it in our entire life otherwise we need to wind up from this life very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice blogs. Chanced upon your blog when trying to verify an email forward on free plastic surgery but stayed put to read the rest of them. Very nice narration and lively, kept the readers(me and my wife) enthralled all through. Nice one.. Kudos

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Vedachalam
    thanks, am glad you liked it.

    @Giridhar
    Hearty Welcome to you both, I hope to keep you enthralled with future posts as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. SG. . . really nice post,your narration is too good, few things i was about you visualize like the guy standing in the queue which i am used to daily in Bangalore :). Amazing post. .

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Ilavarasan
    I can imagine the situation in B'lore! am glad you liked the post.

    ReplyDelete

Hit Counter
Website Hit Counter I had decided to have a counter only after I hit a 1000 views and since it happened last week (as on 14 Dec 2009), now is the time to see some stats :)