Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Bye, Bye, Microsoft Word

For someone who has written 2 thesis reports in Microsoft word and has spent more time on formatting than on the content, knowing that Microsoft is banned from selling Word is indeed good news to start off the new year with. Oh..well…nothing to be too happy about since Microsoft has apparently violated some patent in using code from another company for one of its features and they will most likely set it right soon.

I only wish people started suing Microsoft for physical and emotional strain in using its OS or office so that they will do more acceptance testing before releasing something full of bugs to the already stressed world. I simply cannot keep track of the number of times I or other people have lost unsaved work or had to restart the system for no apparent reason or have spent sleepless nights in getting a document in the right format. I have even heard of an incident where someone in Berlin threw out his computer out the window in frustration. The neighbors called the cops and they let him off with a warning saying that "we have all wanted to do it at one point"….enna kodumai Saravanan ?! I am willing to bet it was Microsoft related issues that drove to him to that frenzied state.

More testing, Fewer bugs/exceptions - Microsoft, can you make this your new year resolution?

Makkale, idhoda naan indha year joot, so see you all next year. Have a wonderful new year....ensoi maadi :D ! Vazhga, valarga !

4 comments:

  1. Nice post to adios 2009...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should say good bye to word forever and must start using openware programs

    Happy New year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really true that Microsoft cannot sell its Word, though it lost a good sum, it still won the battle as Microsoft declared "The code in question" has been removed from previous and current versions of Office.
    Though not a big fan of Microsoft, I have always loved their Excel. Word is annoying sometimes I agree truly, you are right abt that :)

    SK -> If you are looking for a nice freeware alternative, have u tried google office? It is awesome. You can even share it online and access it anywhere as long as you have internet. The spreadsheet in that is vey good too.. I use it for all my bill calculations and sharing with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @SK

    yup, I totally agree with using open source programs as long as the privacy of the content is preserved

    @Musinggal
    Yup, obviously a huge company like Microsoft will not sit back when a small canadian firm files a patent violation case against it.

    As to google office, yes I use it a lot too but will never upload any of my sensitive documents there. Google already knows way too much about me !

    ReplyDelete

Hit Counter
Website Hit Counter I had decided to have a counter only after I hit a 1000 views and since it happened last week (as on 14 Dec 2009), now is the time to see some stats :)