Monday, February 1, 2010

The 2 red lights mystery

The first time I saw it was outside my friend's house in Reutlingen. I turn to him and ask ‘why are there 2 red lights?’...he ponders for a minute before saying ‘I have not really noticed before and I really do not know’. I sort of assume that this was some weird mistake and move on.

As we go closer to the city centre, everywhere I look, I spot only these 2 red lights (arandavan kannuku irundadhellam pei logic) and it slowly starts driving me crazy. We met 2 other friends and the 4 of us decided to brainstorm the reason behind it (and yes, we were vetti but in our defense, it was a weekend and we were driving to the Alps). Here is a list of suggestions we came up with (all sensible, funny, ridiculous suggestions are included)
1. People in Reutlingen need to be told twice before they would start listening :D !
2. Maybe one is for the visually challenged and changes with a tone while the other is an old fashioned one without the tone and the overhead of removing them was higher than the benefit.
3. Maybe it is to help the color blind (those who cannot distinguish between red and green colors) who actually drive/walk only by the position of the traffic lights. So the two red lights are to indicate the red and amber signs for the pedestrians and bike riders.
4. Maybe the traffic lights for cars (red, amber and green) and pedestrians are connected to the same trigger circuit (cost/energy conservation) and one switches on along with the other.

In every case, the argument was flawed. In 2 and 3, for example, it still does not explain why the second red light (in the middle position) needs to glow. Even if you cannot ‘remove’ it, it shouldn’t be difficult to switch it off and this is Germany where mechanical sensors are installed everywhere to automatically switch off lights in offices and public places when there are no people in the area (unlike in the US where buildings are lit through the night to help birds fly into glass doors and die!!!). The same argument holds good for 4 where the purpose of energy conservation is defeated by the redundant red light. What is more wrong in this case is that, the traffic lights for pedestrians and cars do not change at the same moment, but there is a lead time in between (for overzealous walkers/bikers or hasty drivers).

I tried even asking a taxi driver and he blinks and says ‘I have never noticed it before’. I looked in vain for a cop to ask him the same question because it literally did drive me crazy.

Today I am quizzing my colleagues about it and they do not know either. I have a good mind to call the ‘Stadtverwaltung’ (city council) in Reutlingen to find out what is going on.

In the meanwhile, readers, go ahead and guess and if you can come up with a good reason, I will share my boost cake with you, I promise :)

6 comments:

  1. I don't know,but it could have been meant for an orange light, similar to a vehicular traffic system, but for pedestrians, but was never implemented! So they started using it as normal Red one!! I mean in S'pore b4 the green changes to a red, it blinks for a few seconds to give a waring to the pedestrians. Maybe it was originally meant for a similar purpose!! Did u mail the local traffic there?? It looks rather Stupid than weird!! Coz I do see both lights as red than red/orange!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. may be one light is to go straight and the other to go left or right.
    Situation for eg:
    1st red light (straight) = on
    2nd red light (left or right) = off
    green light = on
    then take only left or right... an so on...

    i hope it makes some sense :D n i get boost cake ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice brain twister. I just want to rule out to say that there is some technical reason like red light has got longest wavelength so it will provide additional precaution for the drivers when there are is fog with poor visibility, these two lights will provide better visibility for the them to stop.

    But I think there is some wierd reason behind that. May be like this

    1. If the one of the light goes off the other one continues to provide light for the drivers to stop at stop line in order to avoid accidents. One might argue if both of the lights goes off, but the probability of both the lights going off is lesser than one.

    2. Still guessing some more reasons to get Boost Cake :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Vidhyashankar
    nice try but there was never an orange light for pedestrians in Germany

    @kamal
    andha madhri roadla right left ellam pona, adhan lifela kadasi walka irukkum :D !

    @Vedachalam
    good point, but even shouldn't the second one glow only when the first one is not working, what is the point in using both at the same time since they will be subject to equal wear and tear ??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you. But eventhough all the four tires are new in a car. Only one tire will go flat at a time eventhough the road is also extremely good. I meant not all the four tires will go flat at the same time...No reason. May be those people would have experienced something much similar to that. I know Germans are smart there country is built out of history (Experiences)

    The first point looks reasonable for me, that the second light glows only when first one is not working. I guess they don't want to be too logic on that. Hence they want 2 lights to be working always.

    I am still trying for more optioins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it is in India, I would just say some flawed traffic control system - programming problem that didnt get fixed nu solluven
    :)
    Onga oorule I think that cannot be the case... wonder how no one noticed it.. or may be they noticed and didnt care to find out...

    Right now, yosikka thonalai..:) Enjoyed reading it all the same :)

    ReplyDelete

Hit Counter
Website Hit Counter I had decided to have a counter only after I hit a 1000 views and since it happened last week (as on 14 Dec 2009), now is the time to see some stats :)