Wednesday, February 24, 2010

When parents become children...

What do I do when...

..amma, who made sure that I have all my meals at the right time, is now not having any of her meals at the right time ?

..appa, who explained to me that spending too much time in front of the computer is not healthy, is now going to bed at odd hours because he is reading vikatan online ?

..amma, who used to go to the temple and do 108 pradakshinam each time I had an exam, is now not even able to walk to the temple ?

..appa, who played tt with my brother and taught me to how ride a bicycle, is now having trouble with climbing stairs ?

..it takes me 10 phone calls of yelling, begging, blackmailing to get them to go to a medical check-up when they did all they could to prevent me from having a single sick day ?

..all my suggestions for healthy eating habits, exercise does nothing except make appa call me HM (headmistress) ?

..a comparison with other healthy relatives for the sake of motivation ends up only hurting amma ?

..I have to teach discipline to someone who taught me the word, its meaning and also how to practice it?

..I want to bring them to Germany, show them where I studied, where I work, where I live all along knowing that it might be too risky with their current state of health?

..I want to fulfill appa’s dream (from ever since he was boy) to visit Switzerland and the feeling of exasperation drives me mad since it is so within reach (Zurich is 4 hours from Munich) if he was a tad healthier?

I am now ridden with guilt, caught in a realm of helplessness that drives my temper levels to unfathomed heights and I keep thinking that the only way to take care of ‘children’ is to be with them and force them to do what is right...So makkale, the next time I come to India and you do not get to see me or speak to me then you should know that I am busy being a parent !

Gold fish translator:
Amma – mother
Appa – father
Makkale – people
Pradakshinam – sanskirt for going around in a circle (in a temple) as a form of worship

12 comments:

  1. Nice post ... Wishing your parents good health ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. guess this post must do the job... and next time u r in chennai and get to play parenting the parents i would so love to see it... so my apologies in advance for disregarding your statement and i'll be there to disturb you and have some fun while you parent your parents... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. wishing ur parents good health

    ReplyDelete
  4. unga amma,appa posts eppavume romba touching a iruku :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is quiet difficult to bring out the emotions but you have channeled it out very well.

    //I am now ridden with guilt, caught in a realm of helplessness that drives my temper levels to unfathomed heights and I keep thinking that the only way to take care of ‘children’ is to be with them and force them to do what is right...//

    Exactly the same reason i packed my bags 5yrs ago!! I now have lots of peace.. amen!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey.. can relate to the stuff you have written.. hope u get to spend more time with ur folks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good one and trust me a lot of people in our age group share the same thoughts.

    I was just telling someone, the same about being mentally strong about things.. they taught us strength and now there is a time when I try to talk strength to them!!! Its a strange transition phase.

    I wish you and your family health and smiles all the time :)

    Happy Parenting,
    Dew

    ReplyDelete
  8. @All
    I wrote this post more or less for getting these thoughts out of my system to make me feel better and I had my doubts about publishing it since I didn’t want my blog to become a diary where I pour out my trouble (which is exactly what I did..rolling eyes...) but all your comments have made me feel that it wasn’t such a bad thing after all and that there are others in this club too. Thanks for that !

    ReplyDelete
  9. tat s so right sometimes i hv to force them put my foot firmly down in some cases and after tat i feel so guilty...i really am confused as to how to 'deal' with them...

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'I am now ridden with guilt, caught in a realm of helplessness that drives my temper levels to unfathomed heights and I keep thinking that the only way to take care of ‘children’ is to be with them and force them to do what is right.'

    this is exactly the feeling we had six years back and in a jiffy raghu said lets go back and we were here in a months time .though not in the same town i still amm sooo relieved..

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi,
    when i read your blog i remembered my parents.. yest when i spoke to my dad, he was telling me that mom is not taking care of her health and said most of the points written in ur blog. then i told about your blog and for this
    "So makkale, the next time I come to India and you do not get to see me or speak to me then you should know that I am busy being a parent !"

    ..he laughed out loud and said you also do it when you come to chennai :)

    i think this issue is common among most of the family and no one knows the reason...

    keep writting nice bolgs like these...

    cheers

    ReplyDelete

Hit Counter
Website Hit Counter I had decided to have a counter only after I hit a 1000 views and since it happened last week (as on 14 Dec 2009), now is the time to see some stats :)