Saturday, October 24, 2009

Around the Clock

It is that time of the year again (pun intended :D).....tomorrow, the last Sunday of October, is when I get to sleep a whole extra hour, that's right, we move the clocks back an hour since daylight saving time ends.

For those who are unfamiliar with this ''time-travel'' concept, on the last sunday of March every year, just before spring (supposedly) begins, the clocks are moved ahead by an hour so that you can use one more hour of the sunlight that is (apparently) available in Spring and Summer (This means I can make up for that 1 hour of sleep I lost in March tomorrow :D). This is then referred to as daylight saving time.

So what is the big deal, you wonder ? The resulting confusion and chaos on these 2 days (and a couple of days after) and why ?

Different countries adjust the time on different days ! So if I have to call someone in Canada (say, in Calgary), the time difference could be 7, 8 or 9 hours depending on when which clock is adjusted.

Some of these countries have more than one time zone. So if I have to call someone in Canada, this time in Toronto, the time difference could be 5, 6 or 7 hours.

There are exceptions, as always. Arizona, for example, has no daylight saving time while the rest of the US does.

Some or all of the above results in one or all of the following
- You can hear people swear at Microsoft Outlook for sending out calendar invitations with wrong meeting times
- There are people running through corridors at work asking for time
- There are people with completely irritated ''I-missed-my-train/flight'' looks in March and overflowing coffee shops in October since they turned up an hour early !
- There are really smart men who use the ''Oh..I forgot about the daylight savings'' excuse for being late in March although they never turn up early in October (like I said, smart!)

One would think this only happens to people who are new to daylight savings but NO...happens mostly to people who have grown up with it since the newbies tend to be extra careful.

So what to do
- Many computer based systems can adjust time automatically but not always and come-on its Microsoft ! So manually type in the time of the meeting in the message, to be sure.
- You have a computer and internet right ? Just google for the current time in a particular place.
- Set the right time in your alarm clock BEFORE going to bed, will be too late (or early if you are lucky) after you get up.

The other day I heard a friend saying ''India is a big country, you should have more than 1 time zone'' and I thought ''adapaavingla, nanga urupidiya irukardhu ungalukku porukalaya'' ?!

On the plus side though, daylight savings does make a lot of sense w.r.t energy conservation, reducing traffic accidents, increased sport activities, barbeques - Oh yeah, an extra hour of sunlight can make a lot of difference !

Rise and shine, people, let's fight the grey winter and enjoy the colorful fall (pun unintended) :D !

10 comments:

  1. I think I got this point correct only today.. I am one of those who always has had to confirm the meeting timings over and over again when people declare DST..

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dewdrop

    This monday is going to be very interesting !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to be a fly in the ointment, but doesn't DST begin THIS YEAR on November 1? See schedule here:


    http://www.infoplease.com/spot/daylight1.html

    [ Jeff ]

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jeff

    I was talking about Europe since I live in Germany (that's why the time difference is nearly 8 hrs, when I talk about calling Canada)

    I assumed that people who read the posts always know where I live (from my profile) but I will take care I don't do that mistake again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This week is a Mess. US and Canada are changing next week.. I still remember staying awake till 2 AM on this day 10yrs ago to find out how they readjust the clock!!!

    In the US even Hawaii doesn't follow DST(even Indiana had this problem till 2005). we learnt it the hard way. We were idling on the beach for 3hrs and then went to the airport an hour late(we thot they follow DST and had adjusted our clock that morning!!!!) and missed our flight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Bharath

    this is why I avoid scheduling anything important on these 2 days.
    On another note, US is a nightmare in this aspect since even driving from Alabama to the adjacent state Georgia means losing an hour !

    ReplyDelete
  7. SG Nice detailed view of DST!!! You mentioned DST ends... That is right!, with so much of technology this time I did not even feel it :) I beg to differ on "reducing traffic accidents" though. In summer we do get a long day be it in England or US, even without DST. But if we move the clock early in winter then it makes sense in reducing accidents, I do not really think it holds good for the DST time :) Other than that a nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Musing gal
    thanks :), I do understand your intention in using DST in winter too but I think it would be brutal to get up even early (on the first day) and it doesn't really help since on a given day you have sunshine only for 5-6 hrs between 9am and 3pm, which is well utilised already.

    If you consider people who drive home at 9pm in summer, then DST does reduce accidents as they still have some daylight left for them. Actually the reducing accidents stat is one of the strong drivers for DST in Europe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry again for the late comment!! Maybe ur friend is right!! In India we should had more than 1 time zone. I realized it a couple of years ago when I was on vacation in Calcutta. At 5am it would be as bright as 8am in chennai. And it sure turns dark very early!! But it pretty late now, it wud only create more confusion if we did it now!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Vidhyashankar

    I think an extra hour of sunlight makes a difference only in those countries where sunlight is welcome :D and not for those who get roasted in it almost 24/7 :D!

    ReplyDelete

Hit Counter
Website Hit Counter I had decided to have a counter only after I hit a 1000 views and since it happened last week (as on 14 Dec 2009), now is the time to see some stats :)