Thursday, September 3, 2009

Nishabd leaves you speechless

Nishabd is probably a very controversial movie and God knows how many people are going to get agitated about this post, but with the few followers I have I guess I can take that risk :D !

In one phrase: a master piece from Ram Gopal Varma.

Its a slow movie and more so deals with the most controversial of stories where a 60 year old Amitabh and a 18 yr old girl fall in love. To make matters worse, he is a family man with a wife and the girl he falls in love with, is his daughter's friend.

When I saw the movie, I had no idea about either the story or the controversy surrounding it and I found the screenplay very different, very intriguing. The lighting, the camera angles, the music - everything looks like a thriller and this effect adds to the effect of forbidden romance and kind of makes you forget its a slow movie.

Jiah khan and her curls were perfect for that girlish charm, innocence and fun that draws Amitabh's attention to her. I like the way she says ''take it light'' or ''it was 11400 times better than that sas bahu serial you were watching''. I like her child like enthusiasm in showing delight and expressing disappointment when looking at her good and bad fotos. I like how she expresses her ''I-dont-care'' attitude.

Amitabh's life with his wife, an arranged marriage where there is more duty than love in everything one does, is interrupted by Jiah who seems like a breath of fresh air to him, brings out his youth, makes him laugh for no reason, makes him feel alive.

Depiction of Amitabh's really mundane life, the interesting relationship building between Jiah and him - simply brilliant.

Needless to say, the daughter and the wife and the boy who has a crush on Jiah are not happy, they throw tantrums and this results in his brother-in-law and friend, Nasser, coming home to give him a counseling session. As a result of the counseling session, Amitabh ends his relationship with Jiah and asks her to leave the house. His wife is unable to forgive him. Although, listening to this story would have normally made me reprimand the husband and reproach his morals, the way the movie was made, to me nothing seemed perverted. True, people were hurt but I still felt ''all is fair in love and war'' and I have never felt this way before in similar situations and I think the credit goes to RGV.

After this, he is lonely and even thinks about suicide but says ''uski yaadon main kuch aur din jeena chahta hun'' and he leads the rest of his life just with Jiah's memories. The scene where he explains this to Nasser is so moving and different that everytime you think about the scene, you get a different perspective. I consider this movie as Amitabh's best performance closely followed by Cheeni Kum, another movie that I liked and will write about soon.

The movie is definitely not for our ammas, appas but if you can watch it with an open mind, you might enjoy it even if you dont agree with it.

Finally, here are the links to some of the scenes I liked, in no particular order...actually these clips tell the story too (andha kalathu thirai malar madhri)

12 comments:

  1. thirumba ek gaav mein :(

    naan apparam varren

    ReplyDelete
  2. என்னது இது .. படிக்கும் போதே எதோ பாலச்சந்தர், பாரதிராஜா, பாக்கியராஜ் எல்லாம் ஒண்ணு கூடி எடுத்த படம் போல இருக்கு .. இதே முழுசா பாத்தேன் வேற சொல்றீங்க :-)

    அவ்வ்வ்வ்வ்வ்வ்வ்வ்வ்வ்வ்... முனிச்ல நல்ல டாக்டர் இருக்காங்களா.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'uski yaadon main kuch aur din jeena chahta hun'' ?
    care to enlighten hindi unknown followers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. BOOOm.. I'm floored.. pretty unexpected post.. u've balanced on a tight rope pretty well. haven't seen this but read about it quiet a bit.. didn't dare to see it bcos i don't like RGV's style.. may be this one is different.. On the subject i agree with ur statement of "All is fair in love and war" as long as we are not the one affected by it!!! One thing i admire in Amitabh is acting his age.. Rajini should do it in atleast one movie..
    (I remember Padayappa.. where Abbas exclaims with gayish expression "what a Man"!!! )

    keep going ur blog is rocking!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @SK

    mudhala kadai ketrundha naanum probably ipdi dhan react pannirpen, kadai kekama padam parthen, pidichidu :)

    @Spidey
    'uski yaadon main kuch aur din jeena chahta hun' - I want to live with her memories for a few more days. I skipped the translation since I explained it in english anyway. The only reason I included the dialogue was because the way Amitabh said it totally moved me.

    @Bharath
    On the subject i agree with ur statement of "All is fair in love and war" as long as we are not the one affected by it!!! - naanum idhe katchi dhan :D

    "what a Man" - seriously, naan vizhundhu vizhundhu sirichen movie pakarche !

    ReplyDelete
  6. enna achu kada leava'a?? no post!!! YSR'kku anjalikakava!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thamizhargal ellarum thukkaththula irukanumnu enga thamizh thalaivar solli irukaar bharath :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Bharath

    hehehe, only when I saw your comment, I realised I have posting everyday for the last few weeks now...idhuku dhan ipdi standard ellam set panna koodadhu...! I had a half-complete post but my running nose suggested I go to bed early instead of completing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "As you are suffering from running nose" - leave granted!! compensate it over the weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, have not seen it yet...No comments as of now.. well written review though :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey...

    "All is fair in love and war" - great line it is.. but I fell this is applicable only with some conditions...

    Many times. it is being felt as fair only by the ppl who experience it... and felt bad by the ppl until he/she experience it...

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Bala

    Bharath said exactly that and I totally agreed. thala valia irundhalum thanakku vandha dhan theriyum logic

    ReplyDelete

Hit Counter
Website Hit Counter I had decided to have a counter only after I hit a 1000 views and since it happened last week (as on 14 Dec 2009), now is the time to see some stats :)