Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Am I a German ?

I do not smile at strangers.

I prefer not to have people in adjacent seats in buses or trains.

Even if there were people next to me, I prefer to read a book or use my ipod when I travel than talking to them.

I do not really know my neighbours.

I look at deadlines and/or appointments like they are written in stone.

I get extremely annoyed when people arrive a few minutes late, esp. in official situations.

I replace ‘s’ with ‘shh’ many times in English words.

I can explain driving rules and names of road signs only in German.

I prefer and drive only German cars.

I complain about the cost of getting a driver's license here.

I have a ‘Dirndl’.

I do not like McD, Burger King and anything on that list.

I answer the phone by saying my name and not ‘Hello’.

I talk about the weather at least once every day.

I go to Southern Europe (Italy, Spain, Greece etc.) for vacation many times.

I am not reachable for work-related emergencies when I am on vacation or during the weekend.

I do not have a TV at home.

I organize and file my paperwork regularly.

I eat dinner at 7pm everyday.

I never shop or think about shopping on Sundays.

I think of distances purely in metres - if someone asks how far is the bank, I would say 400m instead of ‘5 min from here’ .

I love maps.

I never go on a tour without an audio guide, if one is available.

I complain about taxes but file them meticulously and on time.

to be continued.....

Disclaimer: This post is not intended to offend Germans, after having lived here for 8.5 years, I have to come to regard Germany as my home away from home.

8 comments:

  1. When you do all this when you are in India and you'll be called "onsite return" or "Foreign return" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Shankar
    Actually can I do one of this in India ? If I don't have a tv at home, and if I don't talk to strangers and refuse to shop on sundays, makkal enna kayanda casenu thane solluva ?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adaptation to the host country by you in a short time is Great Frauelin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good One!
    And U prefer "German Shepherds".... :)
    ( Ha!ha! i know how much u love dogs ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry!! these are curable in India!!

    -bharath

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm what u intend to say then

    ReplyDelete
  7. @SV
    there is more to come, wait for it....

    @Beaulah
    aha..German shepherda....indha aatathuku naan varala

    @Bharath
    thats the hope :)

    @Muni
    I am not saying anything, I am asking the readers a question :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Hit Counter
Website Hit Counter I had decided to have a counter only after I hit a 1000 views and since it happened last week (as on 14 Dec 2009), now is the time to see some stats :)