Saturday, October 2, 2010

Endhiran - Just Pass

Yesterday in an article in the times of India, there was a phrase that caught my eye ''the phenomenon that is Rajini'' - I realized how true it was when we went to the theatre at 10:30 pm and saw it swarming with all Indians and Srilankans in Munich and I thought to myself that if one wanted to meet the community and make new friends, there can be no better venue !

Since someone came up with a brilliant idea of allotting tickets WITHOUT seat numbers, there was quite a bit of drama (pushing, yelling, swearing, scramming to find the best seats) before everyone settled down to watch the movie. Just when I was thinking that this is starting to feel a lot like the FDFS in India, people started whistling and throwing paper flowers when Rajini's name was screened (just the name not the man) and obviously when Rajini first appeared, I almost went deaf from the whistling !

After that ''Thaliavar'' intro, let me come back to the movie (spoiler alert).

The +++++++
- The ''desi'' touches with the robot (his Rajini walk, his changing hairstyles) and over all the intial introduction of him to the world is very enjoyable
- The climax where the swarm learns from one another and takes all kinds of shapes (Remember the swarm of nanorobots from Micheal Crichton's Prey ? There is probably a slight chance that Shankar will get sued for this)
- Mosquito scene
- The bad robot (reminded me of those villain roles that Rajini had so successfully done in the past)

The -------------
- The top most for me is that this is not a Rajini movie, I mean, anyone else could have played this role. I mean when I saw Mottai Shivaji I thought to myself "Man, no one else can pull that off with so much style'' and there was no such moment during Endhiran.
- Santhanam and Karunas' comedy track: Even if we condescend to accept them both as robotic research assistants, what kind of them smoke and drink sarayam in the lab and goad the robot that he cant drink or smoke ??!
- Too many songs, especially inserted in all the wrong places. I could have made my peace with them had I liked the songs in the first place. They were too techno and Aishwarya wearing costumes that she couldn't pull off did not help (My heart broke when I saw flab), inspite of the exotic locations.
- Too many cliched and ergo, unwanted scenes (why should even hero robots fight bad guys wanting to molest the heroine), the movie could have been 30 min shorter !

And what's the deal with Ash quietly watching when Bad robot Rajini is on a killing spree !? She can ask him not to harm Rajini but she cant do that for other innocent people ?! Oh..well...one should not really ask logical questions when watching thalaivar padam but I couldn't help wonder about this.

One thing is for sure, its very clear why Rajini is in the movie because with no one else can they make back the 200 crores (or more) invested in this movie with this story/screenplay.

Verdict: Watchable, but just once (and if everyone does that, they get their money back and more at these ticket prices !)

PS: It was hilarious when there were a couple of German dialogues in the movie and the audience shouted saying ''We dont need subtitles'' :D !

15 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Where did u see Endiran in Munich?
    Was it a special screening or is it being screened again?
    Can you pleeeeease let me know..by updating in this post.

    thanks,
    Muraly from Chennai in Munich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Where did u see Endiran in Munich?
    Was it a special screening or is it being screened again?
    Can you pleeeeease let me know..by updating in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi,

    where can i watch this movie´in munich?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not got the "varam" yet. I feel you are approaching Rajini movie as anyother movie..

    Anybody (kamal, shahrukh, Ajit..) could have done it but can they pull off this frenzy and flavor...

    The villain rajini's mannerism are from Alex Pandian in Moondru Mugam!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anonymous
    you are too late, it was screened friday night and saturday morning in Munich..sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Bharath
    actually no, I was disappointed esp. because I missed the Rajini touch here..and I enjoyed Shivaji purely for that. What I meant was this movie did not look like a script for Rajini but you are right in saying that noone else could have made the money back (and I agreed with that in the post)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Manmadhan ambu endhirathai pilakkum.. DOT

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Pranaav
    aha...avana nee...en blogla nee periya sandaya kelappi vittuduva polarukke....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Most of the scenes are copied from Will smith's i-robot... It was boring for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @SG
    Sanda illa.. unmaya sonnen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. u know......i loved it...inum 2 times theatre ku poi kooda pakalam....enjoyed watching....liked CHITTI ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Sg,

    :) No comments for the review.

    @Anonymous,

    There is another show in munich on 16th. check it out

    http://indienimkino.blogspot.com/2010/08/endhiran-robot-2010.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. @SK
    romba nala ale kanum, welcome back, I was wondering what you were upto...

    ReplyDelete
  14. @SG, :) ennai ellam kooda ninaivu vechukka oru bloggeraa :)

    final phase of studies + other issues taking my maximum time.. :) Hope you are doing good. blog posting frequency'um kammi aana pOla irukku..

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Pranaav
    Manmadhan ambu parthu, as a kamal fan, nondhuten. If only kamal had had the good sense to give the dialogues to Crazy mohan...sigh....

    ReplyDelete

Hit Counter
Website Hit Counter I had decided to have a counter only after I hit a 1000 views and since it happened last week (as on 14 Dec 2009), now is the time to see some stats :)